Dear Nolan,
Every day since school started this year (2015-2016) when the older kids leave for school you tell them goodbye and I love you. At the beginning of the school year, you used to get upset and sometimes quite upset if they didn't say goodbye or I love you back. A couple times you chased after them on their bikes, trying to get them to say it back to you.
Then you started adding in good luck, and instead of saying goodbye you would say see you later. It became a ritual every time they left that went, "Goodbye, good luck, see you later." I don't know where you picked up the good luck part but it was thoughtful I thought. This little saying became so routine that you began saying it so quickly it evolved into this, "Bye, love you, see you luck, see you later." You mixed the 'good luck' with the 'see you' and got 'see you luck.' It became so endearing to use that now instead of you waiting for us to say I love you back, we wait for you to say this to us anytime any of us leave anywhere.
Today you went with me to the school to read books with Brendan in his class. We had to stop at the office first for Brooklyn to get a late slip because her brothers left her on their bike and she didn't want to ride her bike to school alone. So she came with us, late. Anytime we have gone into the office with the kids to get late slips this year (which as been probably 4 or 5, more than I like to admit) you have thrown a fit if you didn't get one too. A little pink piece of paper that has your name and the date on it. You of course never needed one but the Secretary in the office, Mrs. Griffeths always lets you have one too. For some reason getting a late slip is so exciting for you.
Jason forgot to take his viola to school so we brought it with us and after getting the late slip we went back out to the car to get it. On our way back in the school, you were holding my hand and out of nowhere (without any prompt or discussion), you looked up at me and said: "Mom the lady in the late slip room is really nice."
I was really impressed with the level of awareness that you had and also with your ability to sense and then verbalize such gratuitous feelings. I could tell that you really appreciated how she made you feel when she gave you a late slip each time and validated you in that act. I couldn't believe that as a two-year-old you were so aware and articulate in that awareness.
Daily I am impressed with your compassion, kindness and love for others around you. Later when we went to pick up the kids for lunch I ran into the office to tell Mrs. Griffeths what you said about her. She laughed and smiled and said that made her day. It made my day too!
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment